When I started making special cakes for my children's birthdays, I never knew it would lead me here. Covered in powdered sugar, fingernails dyed with food coloring, and running to weddings and birthday parties. Follow me here where all my Frosted Fantasies are on display to browse. Feel free to search and find your favorite. Thanks for stopping by!

have been caked

Saturday, March 24, 2012

My First Fondant Fairy Cake

  Welcome to my blog on cake designing. I have always loved baking and started with cookies and brownies. When my husband and I bought our first house, we were the first of our friends to do so. My all time favorite thing to do would be to spoil our friends with some yummy, best- ever butterscotch oatmeal cookies or my famous brownies. I had a certain friend that would just pop over, like nearly everyday, just to see if I had some made. Then when my boys were born, birthday cakes were naturally next step. With my background in art and sculpting, and the fact that I hated cake, I figured if they were going to have a cake, at least I was going to be able to eat it. After trying about every cake in our county, the only way I could get that would be to make it myself. I also figured the best way to cure a cake would be homemade buttercream frosting then and stuffing said cake full of dark chocolate ganache and fresh strawberries.  Guess what? I was right!



       There seemed to be a huge need for me to do a blog specifically on my cakes. You may or may not know that I have another blog, Holy Fire, Cake Girl!, which focuses more on my life as a firefighters' wife and being a mom. My creative arty farty self was feeling left out. I am so excited to have a place all organized! Creating a place to put all of my pictures and designs in one place, will hopefully make it easier to find my work and inspire others.

   
     This cake I made for a little girls birthday. It was one of my first experiments with fondant. Plus maybe my fourth cake all together. Not too shabby, I think.
When I first started making cakes it was only for my friends and family. This was also the first time I used rice crispy treats as building material. I remember how nervous I was! My cakes designs are sort of revealed as I go, so you never know what you are gonna get in the end. Well, this time, I was so excited with the final results of this little girls' cake, I completely forgot to tell my dear friend that the mushroom was made of the rice crispy treats. So, of course, when she went to cut into it, she started with the mushroom cap. To her horror, the cap was super hard to cut into and then something that seemed like saw dust started to fly out at her! She about lost it, laughing,  when she realized what it was! Therefore, now I always make it a point  to write down things like this, or how many dowels I used, so I can inform my client. This cake reminds me of spring, along with the story behind it, makes it one of my favorites to this day. I hope it puts a smile on your face too!

 

Happy Spring Everyone!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment